Thursday, March 22, 2007

What a 4 year old taught me

The other day I was listening to my youngest son Miles (4 years old) pray before a meal. He has been taught since birth that we ought to thank God for our food, and for the longest time that meant reciting a prayer. It went like this:

"God is Great, God is Good. Let us thank Him for our food. By His hands we are fed. Thank you Lord for our daily bread."

Very simple and adequate. A simple memorized prayer.

Nowadays mealtime prayers are different. Miles has left the simple memorized prayer and is praying for many different things. While listening to him pray for the many things he felt was important to pray for, it dawned on me how simple it is to talk to God. You simply tell Him what is important to you. Miles prayed for the food, his family, his friends, our Christmas tree and decorations, and a variety of other things he deemed important.
Then it hit me how that my prayer life too many times was a simple repeat of what I prayed the day before and the day before that and the day... I think you get the picture. Instead of really talking to God, I was reciting a "memorized prayer" that was empty and meaningless. I don't know you if ever find yourself in this situation, but I learned a valuable lesson from the very one I should be teaching.

Thank you God for using Miles to teach me how to talk to you!!!

No comments: